Beautiful historic flat 5 min from the Lake
Description of the holiday rental
You’re coming to visit the breath-taking Lake Constance and the old town of Arbon, at the crossroads of Europe? Then enjoy the stay in style and comfort in our furnished apartment in the 800 year old Rathaus in Arbon!
Visit the old town of Arbon, a city first named “Arbor Felix” (happy tree) and first mentioned by the Romans around 280 A.D named (meaning happy tree). Visit the impressive medieval castle with a local museum as well as the remains of a Roman fortress. See what might be the oldest Church tower in the World, that of St. Martin’s catholic church, which, records indicate, existed as early as the year 612.
Whether as an accommodation during your bike tour around Lake Constance, as a retreat from stressful everyday life or as a destination for a family holiday, our apartment is ideal, just a few minutes' walk from the shores of Lake Constance.
Restaurants, shops (e.g., Butcher, Bakery, Migros), café, museums, a castle, public swimming pool on the lake, a large playground, the port including paddleboat rentals and cruise ships connecting you to Germany and Austria, are all less than 500m walk away. This is a great place for hiking and cycling. The mountains and natural recreation areas are nearby.
Skiing is just 40 minutes drive away. Austria is 20 minutes away. Germany is 35 minutes away. Liechtenstein is 40 minutes away. France is 2 hours away. Italy is 2.5 hours away.
We trust you will enjoy our unique CastleLovers™ service.
- 1x double bed (180x195cm)
- 1x single bed (112x170cm), for example a child or two small children (1-6 years old).
- 1x single bed (90x185cm)
- 1x folding bed (77x185cm)
- includes crockery, cutlery, plates, glasses and pans.
- includes a dishwasher, toaster, coffee machine and microwave.
- includes a vacuum cleaner, an iron and ironing board as well as cleaning supplies.
- includes washing machine and tumble dryer
- shower towels and hand towels are on site.
- includes shower and shampoo as well as hand washing products.
- includes hair dryer and access to first aid kit if required.
- includes TV and radio.
- includes information brochures with regional activities.
Already in the town charter of 1255, Bishop Eberhard von Waldburg mentions existing gates and moat, which likely included the tower which is the central structure of the old Rathaus. The construction of the town wall can therefore logically be dated to the same period. Investigations of undamaged structural timbers after the Rathaus fire in March 1994 point to the construction of the corner tower with a clerestory around 1310. With a line of sight to the upper gate at the castle, the building served as a watchtower, a residential tower and part of the city’s fortifications.
In 1407, Bishop Albrecht of Constance confirmed to the people of Arbon, “the goods which they use and possess as fiefs from him and the court church, to send them all to their hands”. Mentioned are the Stachermühle and the Bühlhof – both sold by the town to private persons before 1798 – and the Rathaus. The reason for the gift is the loyalty of the town to the bishop during the Appenzell wars and the war damages and costs that the Arboner’s suffered.
A feudal deed in 1566 describes the immediately adjacent building including the Pfisterei (bakery). In 1736 another annex follows which initially served as a Catholic schoolhouse (today yellow facade). At that time, the reformed pupils attended school in today’s Römerhof. In 1792 the new building of the Obergaden with the current Rathaus was built. The Rathaus was already mentioned in the 16th century as a city council and courtroom. Over the course of time, well-known names appear as feudatories (tenants) and residents of the Rathaus: The St. Gallen merchants Entgasser, the Blarers of Wartensee, the Arboners Strauss, Stoffel and Mayr.
In 1882, during construction work in the living quarters, the Burgergemeinde (at that time the owner) donated the magnificent tiled stove with its pithy sayings to the Historical Society of the Canton of Thurgau. It can be admired still today in the courtroom of the Historical Museum in the Castle of Frauenfeld. The coat of arms of the Entgassers, discovered during the renovation in 1929, was restored by the painter August Schmid of Diessenhofen. The coat of arms based on the oldest town seal from 1384 on the south facade is also his work. In 1937, the exterior dual entry staircase – in place of the former steep ramp – and the fountain are built. A few years later, sculptures of playing children are added, a bronze sculpture by the sculptor Ernst Heller of Eglisau.
Since the founding of the canton in 1803, the district court has held its sessions in the old Rathaus. From 1926, it was also used for civil weddings, and after 1928, the Arbon local police moved in adding its office and detention center, dissolved in 1942. The Cantonal police took over the locale and remained in the Rathaus until the fire in 1994.
The restoration, which was carried out in cooperation with the preservation of historical monuments, takes into account the current needs of the district court. At the same time, the two neighboring buildings are being renovated. Lack of space is the reason for the district court’s move to the former Seurer administration building in summer 2012. In 2013, Da Vinci Partners LLC, an intellectual property law firm, moved in and still uses the building as its international headquarters.
– Hans Geisser
- Washing machine
- Parking space
- Cable TV / Sat. TV